09 March 2011

Getting into the game!

I did a lot of work in Jan and Feb. The major difference is that I am crazy motivated due in no small part to Francis Vallejo.

I picked up the inking demo/instructional video he did through The Art Department

It was good advice, a discussion on art and using ink, the tools and what you should look for and think wile working. The best part it also teaches you to illustrate with ink, not ink someone else. I love inkers but as an illustrator this video and the approach it taught me to my work, was incredible. A lot of y resistance came from my fear of ruining a piece because of bad inking. A valid one to be sure but I was so terrified I was shooting myself in my foot.

No, he is not paying me unless you count the education.

Yeah I am overly excited and its been a long time since I could say that.

Honestly something clicked and since I looked at that video I am illustrating and with ink and using ink without fear. Its a sickness. It’s a 28-DAYS LATER style sickness. A lot of the new stuff is my inking. Is it good? I look at it and cry but I keep pushing which is what we are supposed to do. I don’t know if in my old age, knowledge is getting through but I am not afraid of inking my work. If I fuck it up AND I WILL, then crap that sucks but it doesn’t hold me back. I say screw it and move on and do better.

So this new work is me trying to get there. I still need patience and as crappy as my inks are I am seeing something what that is I don’t know, but hell like Wesley Snipes says, "Even the sun shines on a dogs ass once."

Here’s to some more sunshine.

Enjoy the art:
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I am loving the ink jobs here, both your images, and those of Francis Vallejo, whom I wasn't familiar with before. Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool indeed Philip. Seriously coming along with those lines man since last i saw some of your stuff. And feeling free to wreck your work is so liberating as an illustrator. :D I need to do that more often myself.

    ReplyDelete